5 Problems I Could Do Without While Mowing The Lawn

Download PDF

We divide labor on our farm. One of my “labor” duties is to mow the lawn. The “lawn” includes not only the grass around my house and backyard, but also what grows (which is mostly weeds) around the barns, machine sheds and other farm buildings. And as I was mowing today, I thought there are just some things that I could do without. Here are my top five:

1. Snakes

I usually see about 2-3 snakes per year when I mow. And I HATE snakes. No, really, I REALLY hate snakes. My head knows we have no poisonous snakes here in southern Minnesota and I know there isn’t anything I should be afraid of, but I absolutely hate how they look and how they move. Shivers go down my spine and my heart nearly stops when one is within my eyesight. Even anything remotely looking like a snake (like a green garden hose in the grass) freaks me out!

2. Bumpy terrain.

Yes, a portion of the ground that I mow is not smooth and flat. Oh, let’s be honest, most of it is not smooth. Believe me, I envy those lawns that are so smooth you literally could play a game of bowling on it. Gouges in my lawn caused by our tractor as it removed snow from last winter really makes a mess of my lawn. This last year was particularly bad. Ruts and piles of soil rubbish everywhere! Mowing around and through this is not fun.

3. A lawn mower with issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my lawn mower. It has some great features. I love that it takes a 60″ cut and I love the zero turn capabilities. But it needs to see the walls of a repair shop. The fuel and water temperature gauge does not work. After five hours of lawn mowing, I wonder when I will be sitting out in the middle of the tree orchard because I ran out of gas.

Killdeer eggs

Killdeer eggs

4. Referring back to #1.

Yes, I hate snakes but I also have other “wildlife” that tries to take up residency in my lawn. We have animals that dig holes in the ground and then leave a pile of dirt from the dug up hole. Just last week I had a family of baby rabbits in a nest that was residing in my lawn. Also, I have a mother killdeer that completely freaks out as I mow by the gravel where she has laid eggs. I wish they would just find another place to set up home because I don’t like seeing tiny baby rabbits scurrying everywhere (because I really don’t want to run them over) and a hyperactive killdeer freaking out and acting like she has a broken wing!

5. Digging dirt out of my eyes and nose for 3 days after mowing.

Lawn mowing is a really, really dirty job. No getting around it. No matter how careful I am I look like I just crawled out of a hole in the ground. Dirt is EVERYWHERE. Dirt in my nose, eyes and ears. When I finish my job, I strip my clothes and head for the shower. Immediately. And, yes, sometimes clothes stripping is done before entering the house. Thank goodness for remote living in the country.

But when the job done, I really do like the look and the smell of a freshly mowed lawn.

And then . . .I do it all over the following week . . .

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

13 Comments on 5 Problems I Could Do Without While Mowing The Lawn

1. avatar
    carolyncares says:
    May 30, 2014

Totally with you on the snakes. Same reaction! Lol.

May 30, 2014

LOL. It’s easy to laugh now but it’s not so funny when I see one! LOL

2. avatar
    PB from MN says:
    May 30, 2014

As I just finished mowing most of the areas on the farm only 4 hours on the rider, I totally understand. I totally agree with needing a shower after mowing, it is amazing how much the bra can catch too.

It is always interesting when mowing around farm buildings and grain bins, what might have been left that you do not see, such as the tongue of the trailer that is parked in weeds, remember to duck under the gooseneck trailer, the electric cord to the grain bins, blocks of wood that are used to prop under hitches and other good stuff during the first couple of mowings of the year.

Of course, there is the standing water to mow around (we really have not been able to plant due to the excess amounts of rain we have gotten this spring-East Central MN), trying to get close to the electric fence, but not too close, and of course mosquitoes are out in full force.

It sure looks nice when it is done though.

May 30, 2014

Oh, yes, the tongue of a trailer parked in the weeds! Because it’s early in the season I can see them fairly well now, but that won’t but that won’t be the case later. And I do love how it looks when it’s done. You are so right on that!

3. avatar
    Kellie Blair says:
    May 30, 2014

Mowing is my job too! I can completely relate to all of the above! I also have dirt in my ears and nose. Not to mention the dirt in the creases of my neck. I don’t have a functioning gas gauge either. I usually run out of gas when I am the furthest from the quonset! After all of the hard work, it’s wonderful to admire the yard after it’s done!

May 30, 2014

Love it! Glad I am not the only one that deals with these issues! LOL!

4. avatar
    Elaine Bristol says:
    June 2, 2014

My grandmother hung bird houses on some fence posts lining her driveway and a field. I feel the same way about birds as you do about snakes, and I definitely don’t want them poking their heads out or, worst case, flying out and hitting me in the head, as I drive by for a clean cut. I think this’ll be the year those houses find a different spot on the farm.

June 2, 2014

It’s funny how we all have these fears about something. We do get by somehow, but not before a hard pounding heart when we see what we fear!

5. avatar
    Cathy Ayers says:
    June 6, 2014

I dread mowing the extremely rough areas because the seat safety switch makes the mower cut out from me bouncing

June 6, 2014

Ahh, yes, Cathy. Or we have deep ditch areas where you are only sitting on half of the mower and you really do have to hang on.

6. avatar
    Connie Austin says:
    June 6, 2014

Who put THAT there? I really get frustrated when “something” gets parked, placed, or just set down where I have previously mowed! I mowed around an inoperative auger for three years….I begged, pleaded, and finally threatened hubby with bodily harm before it was hauled off for recycling. And about those ruts to run over…I don’t think you were exaggerating too much when you said “hang on for dear life”. More like “tighten those bra straps!”

Cathy Austin Bach says:
      June 6, 2014

I’ve found sports bras offer way more support when mowing over the rough spots! Especially with a wet spring and heifers that like to find a short in the fence and play in the yard. Hoof holes are incredibly bumpy. And why do they feel the need to lean things against the building such as gates and what not.