2014 has been an amazing year for my Minnesota Farm Living blog! I am so appreciative for all that have read my blog. As a farmer, I know we need to make connections with consumers. We need to engage and this is just one way I do that. The top 10 list is a mixed bag of blogs–including a couple light-hearted blogs, blogs that address some of pop culture’s agricultural misinformation and blogs that talk about the raw realities of farming. So with that, enjoy my Top 10 Minnesota Farm Living Ag blogs for 2014!
10. What I Wish People Knew About Pig Farming – Just a few things many people don’t know about pig farming that are important. Why do consumers need to know these pig farming facts? So they can understand why we make the decisions we do.
9. How To Critically Think GMOs Without A Science Background – Science is hard. Here are some tips on how to wade through the GMO information to guide you through what information is correct and what information to trust.
8. Animal Cruelty is NOT the Price we Pay for Cheap Meat – A blog held over from 2013 that continues to do well. A rebuttal from a Rolling Stone article that was very critical of livestock agriculture. Unfortunately, a lot of what was said was untrue.
7. Let’s Take The “Factory” Out Of Factory Farms – This blog was also printed in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The term “factory farm” drives me insane. The fact is, the vast majority of our farms are family farms, not factory farms.
6. A Mom’s Journey From “Food Babe” To Overcoming Her “Food Fears” – My most recent blog was written by a guest blogger. She did a great job explaining her journey in trying to feed her family safe and healthy food.
5. Devastating Consequences From A Sow Farm Fire – A local pig farm burned this past fall. A tragedy. A blog about some thoughts I had concerning the fire.
4. 10 Things I Wish The Food Babe Knew – The Food Babe continues to make some very interesting claims about food. She has a large following and uses her clout to make changes to the food industry. Unfortunately, her food view is skewed. Read what I wish she knew.
3. Top 10 Reasons Why Farmers Are A Little Odd – A fun little post about some “odd” things farmers do.
2. 10 Truthful Things About Harvest Most Non-Ag People Don’t Know – Again, an honest blog about harvest that many people don’t know about.
1. This is Why it is Okay to Feed Your Family GMO’s – By far my most popular blog, It outpaces number 2 by over four times. Again, it’s about mom’s trying to feed their family safe and healthy food and not being succumbed to food fear.
I also wrote a couple blogs for AgStar’s “Women in Ag” Bloggers series. One blog did particularly well and was picked up by Pink Tractor. With the recent low commodity prices, many young farmers have not been through times like this. I wrote a letter to those young farmers.
Here are my top 5 blogs from my November blogging challenge, “All Things Minnesota Agriculture.”