Who doesn’t love a good peach crisp? Peaches are perhaps my favorite fruit. And don’t feel you need fresh peaches because frozen will do just fine!
Country Style Peach Crisp
- 3 pounds fresh or frozen peach slices thawed
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats not quick oats
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, toss thawed peaches with two tablespoons of the brown sugar and all of the salt. Let sit 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour peaches into a strainer but save liquid. Pour peaches back into the bowl.
- Add 4 more tablespoons of brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract and cinnamon to the peaches and toss.
- Measure out ¼ cup of the liquid that was drained and stir in the corn starch then mix that into the peach mixture.
- Pour the peaches into baking dish (ours was 10 inches round and 3 inches deep (2 1/2 quart))
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Use a box grater and grate butter on large holes right over the bowl, tossing as you grate.
- Once combined, sprinkle over the peaches and bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes or until hot and bubbly and golden brown. The 60 minutes is needed for a deep dish like we used to cook the peaches all the way through. If you used a longer dish that was less shallow than 3”, the baking time may be less.
Leave a Reply